Jose Luis Abuelo Sebio wrote:
Hy guys, let see if any of you can help me with this
problem.

I'm trying to add a workstation to a VLAN, so I have
readed the guides and I
1) Did a patch to the kernel to be able to use
8021q
2) recompiled and installed the new kernel

So now I should be able to add this workstation with
linux to my vlan. But the problem is that I can not
make a ping to my bridge/router.

As it is sayd in the guide of cisco "LINUX VLAN +
Cisco Howto" that you can find in
www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan/cisco_howto.html

first you have to move everything to vlans, so you
don't set ip address to the real interfaces, but set
vlan interfaces. So to set eth0 with no ip I did :

ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
I haven't done any vlan stuff, but to bring up the interface without an IP, I use the following in the modern iproute2 world (appropriate for all recent LEAF disto's):

ip link set up dev eth0

Then I wanted to add a vlan to this workstation so I
went to my vlan directory and with the comand vconfig
:
vconfig add eth0 10

This should create a device called vlan0010 but it
creates a device called eth0.10. So now Linux should
think that eth0.10 is just another network device, so
I can configure it like any other. What I did was

ifconfig eth0.10 192.168.1.3 broadcast 192.168.1.255
netmask 255.255.255.0
So if you trust the guide the configuration is over
and it should work.

The problem is that, when I try to make a ping to
the interface conected to this workstation in the
bridge I don't receive anything.

Do any of you know why?
Not without seeing some debugging output. Start with the output of "ip addr" and "ip route", and add any vlan specific commands.

--
Charles Steinkuehler