On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Bob Pocius wrote:

> I'm struggling with getting 1.1 to boot from a cd. This is the same problem
> I had the first time I tried the 2.4.20 version of 1.0 stable. During
> bootup, the system returns the "Could not load packages" error. I found the
> error in linuxrc, and it seems that the isolinux.cfg is not being read
> properly, and it is defaulting to /proc/cmdline data. Have you experienced
> this?

I don't remember, but it sounds familiar.

Do you have the correct drivers for the cdrom drive in your initrd.lrp
(/boot/lib/modules/*.o and listed in /boot/etc/modules)?  In particular,
if you don't have an ide cdrom drive then you will have to diverge from
the modules described in section 8.4 in
http://leaf-project.org/devel/jnilo/bucdrom.html.  (Actually, if that is
the case, you might just consider going out and buying an IDE cdrom
drive.)

Another problem that occurs frequently is encountering the 255
character limit on /proc/cmdline.  See
http://leaf-project.org/devel/jnilo/bubooting.html#AEN1155.

> What I'm wondering is where the /proc/cmdline file pulls it's data
> from?

Last line of isolinux.cfg.  This occurs regardless of whether you have the
right drivers, because this data is passed into the kernel by the boot
loader.  Drivers become important when the packages other than initrd.lrp
must be loaded.

> I'm tempted to just hardcode my parameters in, but I'd rather do it
> cleanly. Any advice would be appreciated.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing