--On Monday, March 03, 2003 04:57:24 PM -0800 Ray Olszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 04:41 PM 3/3/2003 -0800, Tom Eastep wrote:

iptables can generate an RST response as well which is what Shorewall has it generate in response to a REJECTed TCP connection request.

Thanks, Tom. I'd missed that in the iptables docs.

I don't know if you know the history of the longstanding problems
LRP/LEAF had with auth/ident requests, but this new capability should
address that problem as well. It's good to know.

I have the following in my /etc/shorewall/common file: . /etc/shorewall/common.def run_iptables -A common -p tcp -m multiport --dports auth,139,445 -j REJECT

Something similar might not be a bad idea for Bering if ident/auth hangs have been a problem.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep   \ Shorewall - iptables made easy
Shoreline,    \ http://www.shorewall.net