Hello Nick

> I'm using Bering 1.1 and overall think it's wonderful. There are
> just a couple of things that I'm having difficulty with:
>
> 1) I can't get Bering to send me emails. Every hour there's an
>    entry in "cron.log" similar to the following:
>
>    MAIL (mailed 19 bytes of output but got status 0x0001 )
sorry to see it is still there, this is due to a line i inserted in a
debugging session and  forgot to remove.

Remove the line:
# echo $prog
in routine main()  around linenr 33.
in the multicron-p script

>    If I use the MAIL command from the command-line, I can get it
>    to send a message, but never via cron.
Did you set the
lrp_SPACECHECK=YES
lrp_SC_MAIL_LEVEL=2
in this settings
Cron will only send a message if the Space is so limited that it had to
go to "step 2" deleting files.
If this situation doesn't occur, you won't get mail :)

If you want a mail every day, for example get your log files mailed
make a script like you did by hand and inserted as cron job.
Remember to set the full path to executables !

>    Incidentally I discovered that pointing it at an Exchange 5.5
>    server does not work, as the mail command appears to disagree
>    with Exchange as to the correct sequence of an SMTP conversation...

(who is right ;) )

>    I've now re-pointed it at a Linux box, running Sendmail and all
>    is well on that front.
> Any pointers that anyone could give me would be very much
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Regards