On Monday 10 March 2003 02:51 pm, Heriberto Höhlke wrote:
> Hello
>
> I usually open .lrp files with Winzip81 in Windows 98, renaming them to
> *.tgz, except initrd.lrp, that can't be opened. I would like to protect the
> password file of etc.lrp from been cracked with Brute Force crackers like
> John The Ripper.
> Is there a way for backing up the .lrp files, so they cannot be opened (as
> initrd.lrp), except from inside the Bering box, and of course knowing the
> root password?

How would anyone be able to crack your password file without logging in
as 'root'? Really the only security concerns to the outside you would have
would be dependant on opening http/ftp/etc... services open to the internet
and running on the router itself. If this is a large concern of yours, I would
suggest moving these services off the router and into a DMZ.
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall Developer