Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:00:00 -0600
From: Charles Steinkuehler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: William Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] dachstein NTP Internal Time Server - Up and running

William Brinkman wrote:
> All,
>
> I put the NTP rpm in my mandrake 9.0 linux box.
>
> Set the ntp.conf "server" to 192.168.1.254 (firewall
> address).  Inserted a /etc/ntp.drift and put a 1 in
> the file.  Started the ntpd daemon.
>
> Tested out the troubleshooting guide and on the
> mandrake box tried a:
>
> # ntpq -p 192.168.1.254
>
> The results indicated that the firewall was doing its
> job as a time server.  The display indicated every
> server I had in the conf file of the fire wall as well
> as detailed statistics on how much they vary from each
> other.
>
> Now the strange part:  From the M$ box, using
> Automachron time update software, the time will sync
> fine to the mandrake box, but still has the socket
> error for the firewall.
>
> Looks like I need to test some other software that
> will be more forgiving with the firewall.

Before you give up on your current setup, try pointing your M$ client to
any other valid IP's on the firewall box (not just the internal
interface IP).  You should have at least one more IP: the IP of your
external interface.

This may not be an issue with the NTP server you're using, but I've had
problems with IP aliases and NTP servers before.  Things would seem to
be working properly, but I couldn't get NTP clients to sync to any but
the primary IP of an interface.

Of course, if you've got a Mandrake box available, I'd just set that up
as you local time server, and sync everything (including the firewall)
to it.

--
Charles Steinkuehler