On Friday 04 April 2003 07:08 am, Simon Chalk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I now have a working solution for a LAN to LAN gateway through Bering 1.1,
> ipsec and Shorewall.
>
> I can ping from either end, but in one direction I get something like 25%
> packet loss. In the other direction there is no loss at all. Could this
> problem be related to hardware, or should I start to interrogate the ipsec
> logs? For my test network one Firewall is a Pentium 2 400, and the other is
> a Pentium 3 500. When I ping from the LAN connected to the Pentium 3, it
> works fine, which made me wonder whether the hardware was not up to the
> job.

It could be hardware, but more likely a MTU problem (PPP<whatever>), latency
with your ISP, or shortage of available RAM.

> By the way, it may not come across in my previous emails, but I think the
> combination of Bering and Shorewall is brilliant, its just taking a while
> to get into the config and documentation.

Yes, there are probably ~1000 archives in leaf-user for people misconfiguring
Ipsec. You will not figure out Ipsec in a day and I don't believe you'll ever
find any doc's that will indicate you will. When your dealing with alternative
protocols w/flexible configuration, you really need to understand what is
going on and familiarity with TCP/IP is almost mandatory. Likely, you'll have
memorized documentation before the light-bulb comes on and things work.
You're far from the first to have this experience, but I believe you likely
know the difference between 'reading' documentation and 'understanding' what
you have read.

I hope your not disappointed with the help you received here, but understand
that stating that you have followed the documentation and that things just
"don't work" gives us literally no information to troubleshoot from. We don't
have any idea what configuration you have (or have not) done, whether your
ISP blocks any of this, or whether your even running LEAF w/o necessary
details of your configuration linked at the bottom of every leaf mailing-list
post (SR-FAQ). The degree of help you receive is directly proportional to the
pertainant details you provide, which in this case was virtually nothing.

If you really want to figure out why pings are failing, post not only what CPU
you are using, but also the amount of RAM on each machine, how much memory is
actually free on the running system while IPSec is running a tunnel, the
diagnostics  from Ipsec (ipsec barf), the type of connection you have on each
box (cable/dhcp, dsl/pppoe, ppp/dial-up), what NIC's you are using, what
machines you are pinging inbetween, and the 'exact' error message received
on ping failure. This information will give us an excellent base to guess at
the actual problem from. Our guess accuracy proportionally lowers for each
missing piece of the puzzle.

I hope this helps,
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall Developer