From: Ray Olszewski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 4:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Add local networks to the machine

See below.

At 03:43 PM 5/30/2003 -0400, Robert Everland wrote:
>I am having issues with the box, I set it up on our network as a fail
>safe so that if something goes wrong with our Proxy server this will
>take over. I gave everyone a router of dress of this, my problem is now
>I can't ping outside of my local network. I need to find a way to tell
>my Bering box that these subnets are local and not to try and route
>them
>
>10.100.100.0
>    through
>10.100.110.0
>
>And
>
>208.193.230.0
>
>Where would I do this and how do I do this?

This is very hard to follow. What, for example, can "I gave everyone a
router of dress of this" possibly mean?

In any case, a router will "try to route" only packets that are sent to it
in the first place. If 10.100.100.0 through 10.100.110.0  and 208.193.230.0
(I assume you mean us to read them as /24 networks) are all LAN addresses,
the hosts that use them should know this at not try to use the default
gateway (I presume that's what the Bering host is).

Someone here can probably help you, but you need to provide a more coherent
description of the problem. The SR FAQ (referenced below) should help you
do this. Reading over the ping FAQ on the LEAF Website will help you
amplify "can't ping" in useful ways.

Also please be clearer as to what you mean by "I need to find a way to tell
my Bering box that these subnets are local and not to try and route them".
Do you mean you want it to refuse to route outgoing connections from these
networks? Or are they on separate interfaces, and you wan the Bering router
to route among these networks locally? Or is the issue with NAT (since the
networks are a mix or private and public addresses)?

  My first guess would be that you have a routing problem in the LAN
workstations, not in the Bering router. My second would be that you are
trying to ping to the Internet from a non-routable address and have not set
up the Bering router to NAT it. But even these are shots in the dark until
you describe the setup better.