I'm running Leaf Bering 1.0-rc3, on several Intel machines.

The main purpose is to run [EMAIL PROTECTED] from harddiskless
Linux workstations connected to my in-home network.
The secondary purpose is to learn about networking,
firewalls, Linux, etc.

I'm out of switch ports, but I have extra network
cards laying around. I want to install 2nd NIC
cards in several machines to daisy chain them
with cross-over cables (router to computer-A to
computer-B to computer-C) instead of buying a bigger
router/switch or adding another switch or hub.
I'm running behind a router anyway, and these machines only run
[EMAIL PROTECTED] so I'm not too worried about security.

I installed a second NIC in one machine, and installed
the module for it, and I see the module initialize
during bootup.

But I don't know how to activate it as "eth1" or how
to setup pump to talk to it.

The router is doing the DHCP, so I can let the router
assign an IP number to eth1 and any other machines
downstream of eth1.

I'm also using this as a learning tool to understand
firewalls, routing, NAT and Linux.

I've checked the docs at:
        http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/binstall.html
and     http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/busers.html

But the pump instructions are not idiot proof enough for
me.  I've meddled with the following files, but to no avail.

Can someone point to more novice-friendly docs for this?
Or maybe even give me some hints on what to add to the
following config files?

Thanks.
-Dave A.

My network interfaces has this:
        # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for LEAF network
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback
        auto eth0
        iface eth0 inet dhcp

My Pump configuration file (/etc/pump.conf  ) has this:
        retries 3
        script "/etc/pump.shorewall"
        device eth0 {
        }

My Pump default config file (/etc/default/pump) has this:
        IFACES=eth0

My Pump init script (/etc/init.d/pump) is blank.