On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Roger E McClurg wrote:
> > The first strange thing that happened was that the NICs swapped device
> > IDs. What was eth0 became eth1 and vice versa. I always thought that which
> > NIC became eth0 was BIOS dependent not kernel dependent. The swap did not
> > present a big problem, it is just a curiosity. Has anyone else seen this
> > happen when going from Dachstein 1.02 to Bering 1.2?
>
> The NIC numbering is *DRIVER* dependent, although the driver may use
> methods that are dependent on the motherboard or NIC chipset, BIOS, PC
> layout (ie ordering of the PCI connectors), MAC addressing of the NICs,
> or whatever else the device driver writer found handy.
>
> Since Bering runs with an updated kernel, I suspect you are encountering
> an issue with a new (or updated) driver for the NICs you're using.

Sounds like it. 3c509 driver (yes this is an ISA card) traditionally used
a 3com-specific hardware discovery algorithm that (I think) ordered the
interfaces according to the MAC address of the card.  A new driver might
not be doing that.

> > The second strange thing is a  problem. Please understand that this system
> > ran months under Dachstein with no failures, and switching back to
> > Dachstein makes the problem go away. It seems that every time any kind of
> > load is placed on the system (say a 10 meg download), the inside NIC, eth1
> > a (3Com 3c509),  stops responding. If the load stays low, the system runs
> > normally. Do an FTP or pull something of any size down from the Web and
> > eth1 goes away.  I have looked in very log file and I can find no error
> > messages.

The 3c509 was a very stable driver... if the driver _has_ been messed
with, then it could be a problem.  The fact that the old setup worked
certainly suggests that something has broken in the driver though..

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing