To those who've helped:

Wanted to tell everyone thanks for all the help. I finally got dns resolution to work with tinydns and dnscache. I have a few curiosities at the moment regarding my setup. I am not sure what information could be helpful in figuring out why they occur. But if people want to suggest places to start, ie. log files, or websites, I'd like to learn how to fix it so it works like I want.

1) First thing is that I set 127.0.0.1 as a location that can request dns resolution from dnscache, because I couldn't get ping's to resolve from the firewall. After adding that to the querying hosts along with my internal IP range, I was able to resolve. However, it takes about 10-20 seconds before it starts resolving names (just from the firewall, internal machines resolve in less time). I'd like to speed that up, if it's possible. Any clues on why it might be slow?

2) I can't create new users and change their passwords. If I issue forth the following:

adduser testuser
su testuser
passwd
Changing password for lrp
Old password:
Incorrect password.
passwd: The password for lrp is unchanged.

It doesn't matter what the password is, it's as if the processes aren't able to read the passwd and shadow files properly, or that they weren't written to properly. Logging in through ssh functions properly, ie. password is required, an incorrect password is rejected, and the correct password is permitted access. I've manually checked passwd, group, gshadow, shadow, and shadow-. I always have a difference between shadow and shadow-, could someone point me to some documentation on the difference between shadow and shadow-. I'm also curious if my problems could be related to tinybox

An aside note as to my early problems...It seems that when I copied the files across, tinydns.lrp was corrupted in some manner. At least that's the only explanation I have for why it functions for me now and didn't originally. I did create my own binary image with winimage, to build the bootdisk, I think that getting the package this way as opposed to copying the file from a disk to /tmp and from /tmp to the firewall bootdisk prevented corruption. It could have been that there wasn't enough disk space on the floppy when I copied the file from /tmp to /mnt, but I'm not really sure as I didn't try testing this out.

Anyhoo, again I'd like to thank everyone,

--
PAGE,RAYMOND

--
PAGE,RAYMOND