From: Ray Olszewski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 17 July 2003 11:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Interesting Issue?

At 10:59 AM 7/17/2003 +0800, David Pitts wrote:
>Hi guys.
>
>I have just fallen over an interesting (I think) issue with firewalls
>in general that I'm hoping you can give me some ideas about.
>
>I'm trying to access an online tax return service provided by the
>Australian Tax Office.  They're using some sort of SSL protocol for
>security.  They won't tell me what ports it requires open because they
>say that impacts on their security.

You should think carefully before you trust sensitive information to a
site
that is run by someone who thinks he can keep secret the ports an active

service uses. Put more bluntly, if someone really told you that, he or
she
is a jackass.

>I have found a list of SSL ports
>required for various protocols (ie ftp ssl, http ssl etc) but I'm not
>sure which protocols the Tax Office is using and there's no guarantee
>they've used standard ports anyway.

How are you making the initial connection? If it is from a browser, the
browser has to know what destination port to send to. Even sniffing the
LAN
will get you that much info ... SSL does not encrypt the IP and TCP
headers
(it cannot, since intermediaries need to read them to route the
packets).

>Anyone have any ideas how to get a round this?  If I booted my Bering
>as a router only (ie not firewall) would that help?  I think I can
>select that option from the Network configuration file?

It depends. If you currently use NAT for your LAN, then you need to run
firewall, not just a router ... NAT'ing is part of what a firewall does.

About the only ways I can think of to sort this one out without
cooperation
from the other end are:

1. Bypass the Bering firewall entirely and connect your workstation
directly to the Internet. You can assess the risks of this approach.

2. Check the logs on the Bering router to see what ports it is DENYing
traffic to or from that involve connections to the Tax Office site (I
assume they don't think they can keep their IP address secret too). You
may
have to increase Bering's logging to accomplish this.

3. Open -AND- port forward to your workstation any likely destination
ports.

4. Complain to the Aussie equivalent of your Congressman.

But before you muck with any of this, you might want to get a better
understanding of this "some sort of SSL protocol" fuzziness. Opening and

forwarding ports accomplishes nothing if your workstation does not have
something listening on each of the ports, and people (even WIndows
users)
typically do not have a haphazard assortment of servers running just in
case someone wants to run a bizarre and secretive security protocol.

>If that's not an option, I would like to have a play with allowing net
>to loc on all the ports I can find that look like they might have an
>SSL association.  Do I just add an:
>
>ACCEPT  net     loc     tcp     443
>ACCEPT  net     loc     tcp     990 etc
>
>or do I need to DNAT each port to the to the particular loc IP?

Yes. In this context, DNAT is what I refer to above as port forwarding.
But
note my caveat above as well; I don't think doing all of this will
actually
help you.

>Whatever I do I wouldn't keep it as a permanent thing.

If I were faced with this problem, I'd take #2 of my suggested
approaches.
I don't think #3 will actually work for you, and #1 requires more trust
in
government (and the Internet) than I have for *any* government (or
system
on the far side of my firewall).