Dr. Tibbs,

Debian, RedHat, or any version of Linux or BSD would be perfectly fine
for what you are doing. In fact, as much as I would rather continue to
champion LEAF, for your situation it would probably be easier in the
long run for you to choose whatever OS is going to be most familiar to
you and your class. That way they do not have to learn the specifics of
configuring LEAF when what they are really trying to do is learn routing
protocols.

On the other hand, if you had a huge amount of time for development and
documentation (or some grad students to abuse) you could use User Mode
Linux with the latest Bering and Zebra to produce a virtual environment
that would allow each student to create multiple routing environments on
a single physical system and then connect the physical systems together
through multiple physical interfaces. Very sleek stuff!

If you do intend to continue with using LEAF then I would recommend
Bering. It has the greatest user base to provide you with answers to any
questions that you might have.

Also, here is a bit of zebra stuff that might help you make the
decision. There are actually three versions of Zebra:

ZebOS - A commercial version developed by IP Infusion which was founded
by Kunihiro Ishiguro, the original creator of the Zebra Routing Engine.
Their version is supposed to be exceptionally feature rich (such as MPLS
support) and stable enough for the most grueling of production
environments. As a learning institution this could be an avenue for you.
Check www.ipinfusion.com.

Zebra - This is the GPL version of the ZebOS software. Sometime ago
there was a split with ZebOS being developed primarily by IP Infusion
internal programmers and Zebra being developed by the Internet
community. The only real maintainer of Zebra is Kunihiro himself. Having
a profitable company to run, he is notoriously bad about putting out new
stable releases and in the past many good patches took for ever to be
accepted if they were not forgotten outright.

Zebra-PJ - So named by the Zebra mailing list since it has been
maintained by Paul Jakma. Over the last six months this version has
become the standard. It even just recently got its own Debian package
maintainer. It is also the version that is currently recommended on the
Zebra mailing list.

Having said all of this, my zebra.lrp packages are based on the standard
Zebra release "NOT" Zebra-PJ and I "DO" recommend using the latest
release of Zebra-PJ.

Hopefully, in the near future, work will allow me the time to get these
packages updated, however, that is at least three months out.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Respectfully,
Eric

Eric B Kiser, CISSP
VP of Information Technology