On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Shango Oluwa wrote:

> Salute,
>
> Since there are no replies to my previous post, let me put
> my query to the list differently and more specifically:
>
> With Jacques's help I have ascertained that my Bering box
> is recognising the Sagem 800 USB and mounting usbdevfs
> while assigning the modem eth2. Fine.
>
> I am not sure what entry to place in my ppp ISP chatscript
> in to order for it to dial via the USB modem ... I assume that
> the entry that designates "ttyS0" (serial port) needs to be
> changed to designate the USB port or "eth2" instead, right?
>
> Sorry, please, thank you.

There are a number of reasons you might not get a response... busy people,
poorly phrased question, inappropriate forum are some.  In this case, I
suspect that the primary issue is that LEAF is not configured with usb
very often, so the question would take research for most list readers to
respond to... which they may be to busy to do for you.

I am one of those people for whom usb is not very familiar yet.  I do know
that most usb installations use devfs with usb because of its dynamic
nature.  Not using devfs means you need to know what the major and minor
device driver numbers are for the modem you want to communicate with.
Devfs creates a typically-deep directory tree based on your architecture,
so the device names it generates are specific to your hardware
configuration. The modem may be configured to emulate a normal usb serial
port (often shorthand-named /dev/ttyUSB0), or not... I don't know.
Knowing those numbers lets you use mknod to find the existing device node
(ls -l /dev) or create one if necessary.

Unless someone else chimes in with more specific information, you may have
to go study usb a bit, and in particular the drivers for the device you
are working with, and figure out the answer yourself.  As always, posting
a description of your eventual solution will help the community respond to
questions like yours next time.

Since you have usbfs working, you should be able to look in /proc/bus/usb/
(typically where it is mounted) in the drivers file to find out what
drivers you have active.  I don't think usbfs is equivalent to devfs
though... you still have to find or make the appropriate device nodes to
communicate with the driver, and device nodes are really identified by
numbers (the names are just known by traditional naming conventions).

Good luck!

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing