----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars Kneschke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] My internal XP machine suddenly having a verisign
IP adress

peter vander kleut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>Hi
>
>I have a small network behind a 1.0 bering box, this afternoon I
>noticed
>that this box had *magically*
>gotten the ip adress 64.94.110.11 which is an adress from the ip block
>owned
>by verisign,  The adress assigned to this pc is 192.168.1.***, When I
>look
>at the network setting on the XP box the private range adress is
>shown, but
>when I ping from local network (with bering ON, it resolves as
>computername.private.network (64.94.110.11 ). Even when just pinging
>netbios
>name it still gives fqdn name (my private net but 64.94.110.11 ip
>adress,
>unplug bering and the XP box get it's 192.168 adress back. this is
>something
>which I can't explain or is this same as verisign wildcards (Stuart
>Ritchie
>posting on 18-9-2003)
>What's going on here?

It has something todo with verisign. 64.94.110.11 is the ip address, to
which verisign resolves any unknown hostnames.
Your XP box is resolving this name using verisign. If you remove your bering
box, you no internet connection anymore => no versign anymore... :)
It think your XP box is resolving the name computername.private.network as
computername.private.net because top level domains can not be longer then 3
chars per RFC. And .net is hosted be verisign.

Stupid verisign techs...

Cu
--
written with FeLaMiMail
need Groupware => http://www.egroupware.org

Thanks for your answer, Lars
I thought of that too but I used "computername.private.network" purely
descriptive in my first mail, what I use in my network is
*name*.*domain*.com, but since this is a nat box, until this afternoon when
I ask any outside website I get the external IP adress of my bering box
returned, and my internal domainshould be shielded by bering/shorewall
rules. I am deeply concerned about network adresses in my private network
all of a sudden changing to public adresses depending on whether I have
internet access or not. Bering "knows" which ip's belong to my private net
192.168etcetera, why would it allow this traffic thru in either direction?
The XP box uses the dnscache of the bering box so it has AFAIK no business
with verisign, I has a hard coded Ip (NO DHCP)

Greetings Peter