I have a Bering 1.2 firewall with pppoa on a alcatel speedtouch USB modem.
Now I am trying to set this up as a dial in ppp server as well, problem is I
suspect pppd is no good for this.

My reasoning is this, if I try to invoke it from mgetty all I get is this:

Oct  5 21:53:20 firewall pppd[21234]: Exit.
Oct  5 21:53:29 firewall pppd[17884]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Oct  5 21:53:29 firewall pppd[17884]: Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline:
Invalid argument

Also if I try to invoke it form the command line I just get a CR, no ppp
data is seen as I might expect.

I have pppd version 2.4.1, can anyone suggest a fix for this, ie an older
version of pppd or even a newer one that might what I require of it!

Regards,
Matt