At 10:29 PM 10/10/2003 +1000, Trent Gray wrote:
Thankyou for the quick reply Ray.

Yes you were right about the packages I downloaded are:

         Bering_1.2_img_bering-1680.bin [or .exe]
         Bering_1.2_modules_2.4.20.tar.gz

I have tried several floppys in two machines which are working well with
Dachstein.  The first is a 486 DX100 with 32 Mb of memory and the second is
a Pentium 75 MHz (or there about) which I have left with my daughter also
with 32 Mb of ram.

OK. I looked at things a bit here. WIth 32 MB available, memory is not likely to be your problem. But ... how are you adding the 3c509 module to the Bering floppy? When I check a stock Bering 1.2 disk under Windows, it reports only 10240 bytes free. The 3c509 module in the tar.gz modules file is 13892 bytes. Compression may let this module fit in an updated modules.lrp package, but it is close enough to the edge that I'd be inclined to verify that you are actually managing to save the full module file successfully.

(Of course, if you are not using a stock Bering floppy .. if you have removed some of the packages to make room ... this is not an issue. And if you are ... with your setup, you can easily remove all the ppp- and DNS-related stuff, plus maybe the weblet, to give you plenty of room for at least a test system.)

What happens if you leave the 3c509 module in modules.lrp but do not autoload it through /etc/modules? Will the system then complete the init process successfully and let you log in? If so, what happens if you then insmod 3c509 by hand?

If that is not it, I suspect you need help from someone with 3c509 hardware available to test. That's not me ... I don't have any 10BaseT NICs here any more.

Sorry, as soon as I boot probably wasn't a good description.   The machines
appear to load the module ok and both report that the NIC(s) are detected as
the 3c509 module loads.   The Kernel panic happens usually as the shorewall
rules are almost completely loaded but occasionally it will get the login
prompt without failing.   In these cases, as soon as I touch the keyboard to
login, I get the Kernel panic message.   What made me think the problem is
with the Nick module is that I only see it if the module is loaded.   If I
comment the 3c509 module out on another machine then boot either of them,
they will boot ok and I can login but there ore no NICs configured of
course.   As soon as I reinsert the 3c509 module, save and reboot, the fault
returns.   The exact same floppy and cdrom work fine in a third machine here
with ne2k NICs configured but the machine is not mine and was loaned to me
to setup Bering for a customer.   This is where I came to a standstill as
the same configuration works well for the last couple of weeks with a
different machine using a different NIC.

[old stuff deleted]