On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I realize that this might be a little general, or even a bit
> off-topic, but I figured that there must be SOMEone who has run into
> this problem at least once.  I'm currently running
> Bering-uClibc-2.0_rc2 in a single-floppy arrangement, and it's been
> working flawlessly for a couple months.  I use two 1440k floppies
> instead of a single 1680k, since reboots get a little flaky during
> rapid router development sessions.  These problems led me to try to
> boot Bering off a CF card.
>
> The trouble is that I can't seem to get my system (IBM PC330
> 6576-series/Intel "Triton" chipset) to recognize the CF-IDE internal
> adapter at ALL.  Another IBM system (PC350/dual P200 server) sees it
> (and will boot linux) no problem.  I've been able to confirm that the
> PC330's BIOS will autodetect other IDE devices without a hitch, but
> the CF adapter can only be seen when it's a slave on a channel with a
> "true" IDE device as master.  The BIOS on this particular system
> doesn't even offer manual IDE configuration.

You have not identified the CF adapter.  I don't have any CF adapters, but
if I did, the chances that I was using the same one would seem to be
small, and lack of model numbers means I can't check its specs.

One possibility is that the adapter is designed as an ARMD
(floppy-like) device, instead of an ATAPI (hard-disk-like) device.
BIOS support would be required for an ARMD device.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that you may need to force
master mode in configuring the CF adapter.  M/S autodetection doesn't
always seem to work for me.

> Weird.  Can anyone offer a similar experience (even with other
> hardware) or a possible solution?  This is driving me crazy, and I
> don't even want to BEGIN trying to configure my wireless PC card
> without being able to rapidly boot from CF.
>
> Thanks for your help.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing