Hello List:
I have tried implementing a bering fw (floppy boot) on Dell Optiplex
GX150 with two NICS.
One is an "integrated" nic on the motherboard (3c905b), and the other is
a PCI card 3c905c.
Both are PCI devices, and RedHat 9 finds them both and configures them.
Under RH9 (booting from the hard drive) I can ping from both interfaces
to devices on either subnet.
With Bering, using the 3c59x.o module found via the Bering installation
guide, neither interface is brought up.

Neither an ip addr sho nor ip link sho command shows these interfaces
(get nothing but lo and dummy0).

I even tried swapping in the RH9 3c59x.o to replace the one from
sourceforge. Still no luck.
So I am wondering if the PCI scan utility (whatever it is in Bering ---
under Dachstein I load a pciscan module) is not happy with such an
integrated NIC.

Immediately after boot, a dmesg command shows nothing that looks like an
error. The "probing PCI hardware" line appears, and no other complaints
seem to arise.

In the interfaces file in /etc/network, both eth0 and eth1 are mentioned
in an auto command, and are given static Ips.
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.10.254
        masklen 24
        broadcast 192.168.10.255
        gateway 137.45.192.186
#
# Option 1.3: PPP/PPPOE (modem connected to eth0)
#auto ppp0
#iface ppp0 inet ppp
#       pre-up ip link set eth0 up
#       provider dsl-provider eth0
#
# Option 1.4: PPP modem
#auto ppp0
#iface ppp0 inet ppp
#       provider provider

# Step 2: configure  internal interface
# Default: eth1 / fixed IP = 192.168.1.254
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 137.45.192.185
        masklen 24
        broadcast 137.45.192.255

# ....

In /etc/modules there is a single uncommented line
3c59x
Above the usual ip_conntrack and ip_nat stuff.

What could be wrong?
TIA
Rick.