Jeff Pierce wrote:

A web search truned up that DachStein might not have serial bult in. However, I go to leaf.sf.net and get to the Dach kernels. I see mention of small kernels, norml kernels and RAID kernels. But, nothing about serial.

So, what do I need to do to get it to work?

Either use the normal or RAID kernel with serial support built-in, or if you're using the small kernel (the default kernel for floppy versions of dachstein), you need to load the serial.o module:

http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/kernels/Dachstein-small/modules/misc/serial.o

--
Charles Steinkuehler