Hi..

The DWL520 revE is indeed a prism3 card,  so Hostap WILL run it... the deal
is, those cards have no firmware on them.  just a blank flash, you have the
load the firmware at driver load time.  This requires a recent kernel, and
the LATEST CVS drivers...  Do some research on the hostap mailing list...
quite a bit about it.  http://hostap.epitest.fi

Good luck.

Jerryf

> Hi, everybody.
>
> I'm having a heap of trouble with my uClibc wireless setup, and I'm hoping
that someone can suggest where I've gone wrong.  Please let me know what
additional info I should supply, as well.

> I'm running uClibc-2.1-rc1 on a Dell Pentium II system, booting off a CF
card.  Works nicely, and that took some time in and of itself.  I have what
I believe to be the appropriate wireless.lrp and wireutil.lrp packages
included, along with the following modules (appropriate to this kernel):
hostap, hostap_pci, hostap_crypt_wep, hostap_crypt, p80211, and prism2_pci.
Now, here's the iffy part - I'm using a Dlink DWL-520 (rev.E) 802.11b card,
which my research has suggested is, indeed, has a Prism2-compatible chipset.
This ISN'T the -520+, in other words.

> Anyway, I'm able to use p80211.o and prism2_pci.o, in that order, to get
the card recognized - which suggests to me that the chipset IS Prism.  And
by "recognized," I mean that "ip addr show" gives me a wlan0 interface,
which had been previously set-up in the etc/interfaces file.  Okay.  The
problem is that iwconfig gives no MAC address and no AP data; furthermore,
issuing "iwconfig wlan0 essid default," etc. produces the result, "Function
not implemented."  Huh?  The ifup command, by the way, doesn't do anything
special either, even when essid, channel, etc. are declared in the
etc/interfaces file in the first place.

> Alternatively, I've tried using the hostap modules - specifically,
hostap_crypt, hostap_crypt_wep, hostap, and hostap_pci - in that order,
which gives the result "hostap_pci - device not found," or somesuch.  What's
going on here?  I'd like to be able to test connectivity, but I can't even
get the card running.

> I can get other interfaces running nicely - this is my second Bering box,
and the first one (no wireless setup) has been running flawlessly for
months.  Thanks, in part, to your help.  I hope that you folks can offer
suggestions this time, as well.

> 1. If I don't have a Prism2 card, please offer a hint as to what driver
would work/what new card to buy.