Has anyone tried using tinydns to block HTTP requests to ad-tracking sites, adware,
and spyware?

I had a play at using tinydns's private zone file to block domain names from a list of
known trackers I have (I currently keep this list in /etc/hosts on various machines).

I couldn't get it to work because (I think) I couldn't get tinydns to consider itself
authorative for these domains in terms of DNS requests from my network clients.

So, for example, I tried adding entries like this to the private zones file:

=www2.doubleclick.com:127.0.0.1

That didn't stop tinydns resolving the name correctly so I trawled around and found
DJB saying that you need to set up your DNS server as a SOA for other domains. That's
where it gets a whole lot more complex!

I did try:
.doubleclick.com::localhost
=www2.doubleclick.com:127.0.0.1

but that didn't work either. Anyone had a go at this?

I'm happy to share my hosts file with anyone that wants it but it needs editing as it
blocks a rnage of sites that some folks might not be bothered about.

--

Lee Kimber
Track what Linux users are saying about Microsoft