I am having a strange problem connecting from the WAN to my Bering box using
ssh.

I say strange because if I shut down sshd and then restart it manually by
entering "sshd" at the command prompt, all works fine.

If I use the init.d script or use /usr/sbin/sshd to start the server, then
WAN connections fail due to tcp wrapper connection refusals.

The above failures disappear if I remove ALL : ALL from hosts.deny.  I have
sshd : ALL in hosts.allow.

Any ideas?

>From var/log/debug:

Feb 23 20:31:10 ARH-1 /usr/sbin/sshd[7691]: debug1: Forked child 9090.
Feb 23 20:31:10 ARH-1 /usr/sbin/sshd[9090]: debug1: Connection refused by
tcp wrapper

ARH-1# cat /etc/hosts.allow
# /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
See
#                   hosts_access(5) and /usr/doc/net/portmapper.txt
#
# Example:    ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
#             ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
#
# Allow anything from the local net
ALL: 192.168.15.0/255.255.255.0
sshd: ALL : allow    <------------------- I've tried this with or without
the  : allow

ARH-1# cat /etc/hosts.deny
# /etc/hosts.deny: list of hosts that are _not_ allowed to access the
system.
#                  See hosts_access(5) and /usr/doc/net/portmapper.txt
#
# Example:    ALL: some.host.name, .some.domain
#             ALL EXCEPT in.fingerd: other.host.name, .other.domain
#
# The PARANOID wildcard matches any host whose name does not match its
# address.
# ALL: PARANOID
# Prevent all access not explicitly allowed in hosts.allow
ALL: ALL