Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

Arnold Wiegert wrote:

Hi all

I'm still running Dachstein, but would like to use a serial line to access the 'box' from a Windows machine.

Since I haven't found a good & free VT100 emulation program, I've used and older modem program which does a pretty good job, except for the page up and down keys.

They work well enough in the editor at the console but not in the editor when run on a serial link.

What am I missing?

If you're only having problems in the e3 editor provided with Dachstein, you might consider using a different editor. While e3 is tiny, IIRC it's written in assembly so it wouldn't necessarily work properly with terminal settings (which tend to be a linked C library thing).

If you're having problems outside of the editor as well, make sure your TERM variable is set correctly.

Thank you Charles.

TERM is set to vt100

It is not that I'm having any problems when I use the PC keyboard, but only when I'm trying to run the system off the serial ports and try to edit a file.

I understand that the original VT100 did not have 'page up & down' keys, so the PC keyboard must translate those keys such that they produce the desired effect - same goes for 'home' & 'end'. These work as expected from the PC keyboard, but not on a serial line.

When using TeraTerm the 'page down' seems to move the cursor as expected, but 'page up' deletes the character under the cursor, while the 'home' and 'end' keys do nothing good or bad.

I was mainly wondering if there might be a key mapping for the 'standard' editor which I might have overlooked and which would give me what I need.

TIA
Arnold