Joey,

For only kernel work you don't need a virtual environment. Compilation of the
kernel is library independent, any modern distro will do for that kind of work.
Hardcoding the kernel path is in that case the correct procedure.

If you want to use a full virtual environment for not only kernel
compilation, but also development of uClibc packages you can take a
look at the Bering-uClibc Buildtool environment.

Eric Spakman