> The only documentation I can point you to for the
> border_router option
> is the shell-script source that builds the firewall rules.

So when you use the border_router option, what is the setting for
IPFILTER_SWITCH in network.conf?

> Hmm...I suspect the ISP will consider anything coming down
> the wire to
> you as bandwidth that counts towards any quota, but you'd know better
> than I.

Peer networking is uncounted bandwidth for our ISP. Common with many
ADSL ISPs in Australia.

> There are several ways to do what you want, all of which will
> generally
> 'break' conventional firewall setups (ie: no out-of-the box
> solution for
> you...custom tweaking required).  The two main options are:
>
> 1) Route internal private-IP traffic from Server1 to the
> firewall, and
> use the firewall as your IPSec gateway.
>
> 2) NAT or masquerade IPSec traffic from Server1 on the firewall.
>
> Is there any particular reason you don't want to use the more
> conventional DMZ setup?:
>
> Internet
> firewall - public IP DMZ subnet - Servers
> private IP
> internal net
>
> The firewall can then serve as a VPN gateway for your
> internal network,
> your servers are on a protected DMZ, and all your firewall
> rules are in
> one place (rather than split between the firewall and
> Server1), for easy
> maintanince.

I probably should mention that the server1 connected to internal
networks is a MS ISA server (hopefully not too much of a dirty word on
this list!), with two network cards.

> #1 is a potential security risk, if your public IP network is running
> public servers (internal traffic is on the public IP network
> in the clear).

Given my internal network is separated from the public IP network by the
ISA Server box (which is on both networks), is that still a problem?

-----
Craig