Erich Titl wrote:

At 17:11 16.07.2004, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
Erich Titl wrote:

Charles
At 06:57 16.07.2004 -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
Erich Titl wrote:
Charles
interesting approach do you do any mac based filtering?

Not at the moment...filtering is strictly based on IP (and on the interface a system is connected to).
Thanks, one more question though, IIRC you can only proxy arp a single address per interface. Do you have single hosts on these interfaces? Because in my case we will have parts of the entire net being fed off the interfaces.

Where did you get that idea?

Probably dreamt it... :-(
The way I understand proxy arp is that the interface which is the proxy replies to arp requests for the corresponding IP.
So I have to enter all addresses of all the other interfaces to each of the interfaces for them to reply to arp requests?

Um...it's a lot simpler than I think you're trying to make it. In a nutshell:

If 'proxy-arp' is enabled for an interface and the kernel recieves an arp request for an IP address that the kernel would route out a *DIFFERENT* interface than the arp request was recieved on, the kernel 'proxys' the arp request, or answers on behalf of the IP address which would otherwise be unreachable.

Now here is my problem with this set up. Two of those separate subnets/branches have a radio interface and another disjunct branch of this net connects to either of them (actually it's a train moving back and forth between two stations). The train nets are of the overall net. I have no control on how the addresses have been assigned to the net and don't know if it is subnettable at all.

<snip detail>

I don't really understand exactly how your network is numbered.

Suffice it to say if you have fairly static IP allotment (regardless of how haphazard and non-subnettted), you can use either proxy-arp or bridging to connect them (although the more jumbled the IP assignments, the more routing rules required to correctly build the kernel routing table).

If your IPs are fairly dynamic (more so than would be possible to track by hand configuration changes or a routing protocol), the use of bridging is probably more appropriate.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by BEA Weblogic Workshop FREE Java Enterprise J2EE developer tools! Get your free copy of BEA WebLogic Workshop 8.1 today. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=4721&alloc_id=10040&op=click ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html