For SSH & ttyS0 I can achieve this but I cannot figure out how to have my VGA monitor console on my Bering uClibc box give me 50 line display, akin to the DOS command "mode con lines=50 cols=80"

I've tried adding each of the following to isolinux.cfg (even separately testing with syslinux.cfg) but none had /any/ effect:
vga=2
vga=ask
vga=ext
vga=extended
etc.

In my reading I've discovered that I may be in need of one or more of:
setfont
svgatextmode
vidmode (aka rdev)
fbset
but these all seem either unavailable or can't be found in handily, pre-compiled uClibc versions or appear to be unduly complex.

Is there an easy way to do what I want? Even a complex way?

Thanks for LEAF!

scott; canada