> From: "Bruce McNamara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:58:27 +1200
> Subject: [leaf-user] using ez-ipupdate  behind NAT
>
> Hi
>
> I am using Bering uClib V2.2 and the ez-ipupdate module V3.0.11b8-5
> Config as follows:
>

> ADSL ROUTER
>       Ext Dynamic IP Address eg: 202.27.43.2
>       Internal IP Address 192.168.42.1
> Bering uClib V2.2 Firewall
>       External IP Address 192.168.42.7
>       Internal IP Address 192.168.1.1
>
> My problem is I want ez-ipupdate to check my IP address every 10 minutes
> and if it changes, it then updates dyndns with the new IP address.
>
> I have a script that does a wget to http://checkip.dyndns.org:8245/
> it then checks to see what my last IP was and if there was a change it
> calls /usr/bin/ez-ipupdate to set it with eithe the one we got using wget
> or it uses -a 0.0.0.0 which tells dyndns to workout what my IP address is.
>
> This script works great if I run it from the command line.
> If I run it as a cron job configured as follows:
>
> */5   * * * * root    /usr/sbin/check_ip
>
> it runs my script but fails with NO messages whatsoever when it goes to
> run /usr/bin/ez-ipupdate
>
> I have tried running /usr/bin/ez-ipupdate as a daemon but get a message
> saying you must give it an interface when running in daemon mode.
> My /etc/ez-ipupd.conf  file has these settings: (I have tried most
> combinations...)
>
>       service-type=dyndns
>       user=myaccount:mypassword
>       #interface=eth0
>       address=0.0.0.0
>       server=members.dyndns.org:8245
>       host=mydomain
>       cache-file=/tmp/ez-ipup
>       execute="cp -f /tmp/new_ip /tmp/old_ip"
>       foreground
>       run-as-user=root
>
> If I supply the interface parameter it takes its IP address and updates
> DYNDNS with it. Problem is its the internal IP between the ADSL router NOT
> the ADSL routers external IP..
>
> Has anyone found a way to do this?

I worked around the problem by running a cron job on a host behind the
firewall that gathers the modem's ip address using wget and that
itself runs ez-ipupdate.  But it sounds as if the 0.0.0.0 trick would
save me the wget part.

That said, your problem seems to be with cron rather than with
ez-ipupdate.  I've never had much luck with installing cron jobs on
LEAF.  Not sure whether it's my fault or not, as I've never looked
very hard for a solution.

--Eric