I'm still receiving them, and saving them against the day I need them,
but rarely reading them.

>1. Our releases are pretty mature and stable, so less goes wrong on the
>code side. So there is less to ask about.

I think that's part of it.  "People don't want 1/4" drills, they want
1/4" holes!"  My Bering 1.2 seems to be protecting me.  Last work I did
was when I changed boxes and the new one didn't want to boot non-standard
floppies, so I had to make it boot with grub from an IDE drive shared
with RHL and Win98--and then disable the IDE support once it connects.
When the uClibc version came out what I saw seemed to present me with the
option of doing nothing or hassling with another difficult installation
and customization?

>2. There are a LOT of other router-scale Linux distros out there. We
have
>more competition.

>From the user's point of view, most don't understand all the details of
firewalling, able to judge the benefits of Shorewall vs other approaches.
 But what they do experience is the installation and customization
process.  I've always felt Bering should have easier ways to customize
all its parameters.  Granted grand schemes would be difficult to do and
keep everything small, but a parameterized variables file wouldn't be so
large.

>3. Home NATing routers from Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, and the rest are
more
>competitive with home-built routers than they used to be. Plain routers
are
>dirt cheap, and even ones with 802.11g can be almost free (I just bought

>one for about $US2, net after a $30 rebate) ... just try to get 802.11g
(or
>even b) workijng with Linux. Hah!

True.  I'm afraid any vulnerability, perhaps influenced by their race to
sell product as cheaply as possible, would spread like wildfire.  And
updates, such as when I went from Bering 1.0 to 1.2, means buying a new
box.

Paul Rogers  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/
http://www.angelfire.com/or/paulrogers/
(I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
:-)