Hi folks, first let me say that I love LEAF and really appreciate all the time and effort that is made by people to produce formal releases, etc. But I'd like to share my slight disquiet, if I may.

I've been working through the most recent beta releases of uClibc 2.2, awaiting the final release beast so that I could nail-down on that one and then go back to having my lovely, stable LEAF box and have it run for a year or two before I felt compelled to upgrade again.

Back a few releases on the 2.2 beta/RC tree, I recall seeing:

Changes between 2.2.0_b4 and 2.2.0_b5

initrd
    * switched to dash with echo and hetio patches

which to me seems a bit strange, changing the shell (if I read that correctly) well into a beta release cycle. But things went smoothly and I personally benefited from the 'echo' patch (I think).

Then...

Changes between 2.2.0_rc1 and 2.2.0

weblet

* splitted weblet contents and sh-http server

which seems to have ended up with a couple of minor bustages - the missing blank.gif and the "text/html" issue?

Now I can't say that the weblet split was the cause of the subsequent bustages but just in general, would one normally make changes such as splitting a package, after much beta and RC, right before a final release? I tend to think that no, not normally.

So I just wanted to posit that /my/ preference, in terms of a release moving through beta and into RC and finally full release status would be for it to settle, with as little feature _addition_ as possible, afore it becomes a formal release. Ideally a release would live as RCxx, become accepted then move to full release-grade with usually no changes made at all?

I guess that milestone releases such as Eiger, Bering 1.0/1.2, etc, seemed to be so very well vetted that the recent intra-beta changes seem to be not in keeping with that tradition and (trying not to sound snotty about it all) I would say that right-before-release-changes have had the somewhat predictable effect of having the full, final release - 2.2 - quickly discovered as having some avoidable bugs within.

(FWIW it's not entirely easy for me to 'complain' about how the 2.2 release was 'administered' - since I'm a beneficiary of the donation of time that others have made. But I care about LEAF, and have proselytized widely about this product [and shall continue to do so!] and feel that this is one instance where things could have been done better ... so I'm speaking up. Confronting this nagging-in-my-mind issue is merely indicative of the fact that I care about this project.)

I apologise if any toes were stepped.   :)

And again, thank you to everyone who contributes to, and participates with the development of LEAF. I STILL love it!

scott; canada