I have seen this working with Bering 1.2 on GSX (and Workstation.)

/etc/modules
#VMWare PCNET32 Cards
mii
pcnet32

The only problem I've seen with this configuration is port forwards to RDP
targets (port 3389 I believe.)

What I observed was after sending your credentials to the RDP host, the
connection would drop.  This occurred every time with VMWare Workstation.
With GSX, it only occurs when connecting to the host machine (even though in
both cases the host had a dedicated NIC.)  It appears to me to be a problem
with the VMWare bridge protocol.  Same configuration ported to a physical
machine works fine.

Also, this booted from an IDE disk, which I'm not sure ESX supports.  There
was no need for the floppy boot that Ronny described below.  Also, be sure
to disable all non-essential networking components from your interfaces.
For the configuration I described above, we disabled everything but the
VMWare Bridge Protocol.

- Bob Coffman