From: Martin Hejl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 4:31 PM
To: Tibbs, Richard
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] New openvpn problem (formerly up-script)

Hi Richard,

Tibbs, Richard wrote:
> But, no, I upgraded to openvpn 1.6 (compiled by E. Titl, with lzo
> statically linked, thx).  Jaques Nilo's is 1.4....
Ah, ok.

> Is it possible 1.6
> supports ifconfig (that command no longer fails) but has a problem
with
> iproute?
Depends on how Erich compiled it. There's a parameter for ./configure of

OpenVPN that makes it either use ifconfig or iproute. The fact that your

log shows "ip link set dev tun0 up mtu 1500" suggests that iproute
support is already enabled in your version of openvpn (otherwise, there
would be "ifconfig tun0 whatever" in the log).
And if iproute support is enabled, then there's no need for ifconfig
(since it will never be called).

Actually, when you say "that command no longer fails", what exactly do
you mean? The latest log you sent doesn't contain any references to
ifconfig that I see (so how could that fail?).

But if you're using a version that supports iproute (which it apparently

does), I don't understand why you want/need to mess with the up-script
at all - with all the installations of openvpn that I've used so far, I
_never_ needed to use the up-script.

All I do on all my setups is to specify the appropriate "ifconfig" and
"route" line in the config (don't let yourself be confused - despite the

fact that the parameter is called "ifconfig" in the config file, if
OpenVPN is properly compiled for iproute support it will generate the
proper ip commands) and everyhing is set up by OpenVPN.

To summarize - with the OpenVPN package from Erich (I'm going to assume
that he compiled that with iproute support - everything I've seen so far

suggests that's the case) there should be no need for an up-script,
unless you need to do something unusual.

> But, one thing I have fouled up is the order of the args -- forgot
they
> started at $0. Shouldn't it be:
> /sbin/ip link set dev $0 up mtu $1
> /sbin/ip addr add dev $0 local $4 peer $5
> /sbin/ip route add 192.168.1.3/32 via $4
Well, everything that I've learned suggests that $0 is the name of the
script being run - so, the first parameter to the script would actually
be in $1

Martin

P.S. After what sounds like a pretty rough ride to get OpenVPN to work,
it may be a good idea to take a step back, dump everything (the OpenVPN
config and scripts) and start from scratch, closely following the docs
on the OpenVPN site - for a typical setup, OpenVPN should be extremely
easy, and I fear many of your problems come from trying to use
workarounds for problems that are no longer there (due to using OpenVPN
1.6). Just an idea.