Sorry to be dropping into this late; I missed the original posting.

At 02:47 AM 12/6/2004 +0100, Arne Bernin wrote:
On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 22:40, Gene Smith wrote:
> I have placed a wireless linksys wrt54g router between my bering leaf
> box and my local network. The ethernet network between leaf and wrt54g I
> have assigned to network 192.168.10.x and the local network is
> 192.169.1.x,

Is this network info a typo? (169 for 168) If not ... it's not smart to use public addresses on private LANs.

 From the local network (some hosts directly wired to
> wrt54g eth switch and others wireless) I can ping the wrt54g and the
> leaf box. I can also see the embedded web server on the leaf boxfrom the
> lan/wlan. However, I cannot ping or connect to any address on the
> internet from my local network. I can also ping the leaf box from the
> wrt54g but cannot ping a real internet host.
>
> NAT is turned on on the leaf box and is on by default on the wrt54g
> (there may be a undocumented way to turn it off). Or this may not be an
> issue. My question is should this theoretically work and, if so, what
> might I be doing wrong?

Can you provide the routes set on one of your client machines ??
Could be just a routing problem...

Probably is a routing problem, but more likely on the Linksys, not the client. What does the Linksys think its default gateway is? It should be the LEAF router's internal IP address.

Could also be a routing problem on the client end, but that sounds less likely if (a) the client can read the LEAF router itself and (b) the Linksys is NAT'ing external connections ... both things you write above.

> Tks,
> -gene
>
> P/S: My leaf box has been working fine for years and would like to keep
> using it.

I assume from this that the LEAF host itself remains able to reach the Internet. It, for example, can ping Internet sites successfully ... and clients connected directly to it (not theough the Linksys) also can. If not, you may have a routing problem on the LEAF router itself. (I'm surmising that you recently changed its LAN network from 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.10.0/24, so I'm really asking if you verified that the LEAF router itself still routes properly after you made that change.)

I would just as soon the linksys box could just act as a dumb
> "wireless hub" and continue using the leaf box as is. However, the
> wrt54g does work ok as the main router (without the leaf box) but
> requires custom firmware to add things like sshd, shorewall etc.

I haven't used a Linksys this way, but I have used an older D-Link Wireless-B router as only an AP (what I think you mean by "a dumb 'wireless hub'"), not a (NAT'ing) router. To do this, I connected the D-Link to my LAN using one of its internal 802.3 ports, not its external port. And I assigned a static address by hand to my wireless client (I'm not sure how well DHCP works in this bridging setting). Worked fine in tests; didn't maintain it that way after the test due to the lousy security on 802.11b, so I can't tell you about long-term performance.