Ray Atnip wrote:

I know I'm responding to this msg a little late but I wasn't ready to upgrade until
now.
I'm using a Soekris board and CF disk. (no floppy or hard drive).
The 'partial' backups seem to be the ideal way to upgrade but it appears that
they will overwrite the existing lrp on the CF, which is why the note below
suggests using a 2nd xfer floppy for saving the configs.
My question is, if I scp all the files contained in each /var/lib/lrpkg/<package>.conf, to
another computer, then replace by CF disk with the new version of bering leaf, boot with
the default configuration, and restore the files I scp'd back to the new system, will I
then have upgraded and maintained my current configuration?
If there was a way to save the config files via a 'partial backup' to a separate directory,
that would be nice.

You can 'cheat' (which I do frequently :-)

Just setup to do a partial backup of the packages you're interested in.

When the backup screen comes up to ask you if there's enough space, don't type anything yet...instead, go to a different console or machine, and scp the newly created partial backup (with all your configuration files!) from /tmp on the LEAF box to anywhere that's a handy temporary file location.

Once you've got the partial backup package copied elsewhere, answer 'n' to the 'Is there enough space?' question, to abort the backup (or you'll overwrite your full LRP file on the CF disk).

Now you can upgrade the packages on your CF disk, reboot, and manually 'merge' the configuration data with your running system (ie: copy the partial LRP's to /tmp, cd to / and untar each partial lrp file, which will overwrite the default configuration files in the upgraded LRPs).

NOTE: If you're upgrading something that affects networking (like etc or shorwall), you'll probably need access to the partial LRP files before networking is properly configured. In this case, you can just copy the partial LRP files to your CF disk, renaming them in the process (ie: etc.cfg or similar). You might want to do this anyway, rather than scp the files to another host.

As it is, it looks like I should create my CF disk with a second file system on it just for
the purpose of 'partial backups'.

That might be handy, and allow you to simply copy new LRP files onto your CF disk, reboot, and have an upgraded system, but

--
Charles Steinkuehler