#-----Original Message-----
#From: Greg Morgan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
#Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 11:24 PM
#To: Stovall, Adrian M.
#Cc: leaf-user@lists.sourceforge.net
#Subject: Re: [leaf-user] wisp-dist, hostap, dwl-520 question...
#
#Stovall, Adrian M. wrote:
#...
#> I noted that WISP-DIST became part of LEAF, and I am interested in
#> building a cheap access point/firewall.
#>
#> The firewall part is easy, but I'm having trouble finding a
#> comprehensive (read exhaustive) set of instructions, FAQ, How-to, or
#> the like on getting a DWL-520 (E-series) to work in a LEAF distro.
#
#WISP-DIST does have its very own mailing list.
#http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=13751

Fair enough...I just figured it was one big, happy family.  I'll try
there, too, but whatever I do, I'll make sure it's distribution-neutral
(and include appropriate kernel config and version commentary)

#
#There is some documentation here.
#http://leaf-project.org/wisp-dist/bin/doc/html/book1.htm

Looked at that...doesn't seem to tie things together, although it's fine
for better supported chipsets.  I'm looking for (and it looks more and
more like I will have to create) a pretty specific how-to on making the
DWL-520 dance with an arbitrary LEAF distro (I'll probably start with
Bering, since I'm most familiar with it).

#Chapter 6 of the Linux Unwired book mentions LEAF and WISP-DIST.
#http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lnxunwired/toc.html

I may have to stop by Barnes and Noble and peek at that to see what it
says.

#
#I am afraid there's some bad news about the DWL-520 cards here.
#http://leaf-project.org/wisp-dist/bin/doc/html/x90.htm#UNSUPPORTED-HARD
WARE

I saw that, but it's the 520+ that's listed there, not the 520, which is
a bastardized new Prism chipset that requires hostap-driver in order to
download firmware to it whenever you turn it on.

#I don't know if it is a Kernel support issue as in no driver
#for the TI chipset, or space limitations don't allow room for
#DWL-520 support.

If we're talking about WISP, specifically, I doubt space limitations are
a problem, since their default build is around 7MB and meant for
something bigger than a floppy.  At any rate, I know the following:

- People are (successfully) using the DWL-520 (E1) on linux using the
hostap driver
- DWL-520 cards cost under 30 bucks retail (cheap, cheap, cheap)
- People are successfully using WISP as a smallish linux distro that's
wireless capable
- People are using LEAF to create routers, firewalls, etc (including
me...mine at home has been running non-stop for about 2 years, other
than power failures)
- WISP is now part of LEAF

In the interests of science and furthering my own self-interest in
saving as much money as I possibly can, I'll get to working on a how-to.
If possible, I'll make it fit on a floppy, if not, I'll make note of the
fact that it's too big.

I'll get back to you when I have something that works.

Adrian