I wrote:

"Just for info: I wanted to put a second partition on my CF to store logs. I thought I would use EXT2. Sadly mke2fs reports insufficient space (I have 240 MBytes), so it looks like I must use MSDOS here ."

This in wrong, I tried to use MS's fdisk (silly of me) which then seems to make the partition only available for LBA access, which the CF doesn't like (lots of assumptions here).
Using only LEAF tools works pefectly with a CF drive and I now have an ext2 partition automounted at boot time.

Bob von Knobloch.