How does one go about building a working kernel? I ran:

./buildtool.pl build kernel

I then tried booting both bzimage-2.4.26 and bzimage-2.4.26-upx and
both gave me oops/kernel panics after initializing the IDE controller
is seems.

./buildtool.pl describe says kgcc is required to build a kernel. But
that doesn't seem to be the case because I built my first kernel
without it.

I can tweak kernel settings using make menuconfig but I only end up
producing new modules (or removing them). My kernels are always the
same size no matter what I do with .config:

595,223  bzimage-2.4.26
515,363  bzimage-2.4.26-upx

There isn't any documentation on building a kernel, or is there? Is
buildtool still experimental?