I'm in a similar situation. This is my WISH, what I actually live with may
be quite a bit different.

I want to have two real hosts with 3 NICs each. Each host will boot up and
fetch an Xen Dom0 (host OS) that's as tiny as possible and 'just' sufficient
to fetch the DomU (guest OS) images over eth0

hardware control of all three NICs to the LEAF image. Dom0 is then cut off
'real' interfaces. It has to accept what the firewall image allows.

Each LEAF image is able to act as an independent router so if one machine
goes down, the other will cheerfully act as a gateway. Our ISP will give us
a second gateway, and he suggests we use NetBSD for the firewall image. I'd
prefer LEAF, but it gets back to 'what I want' isn't necessarily 'what I
will live with."

Dom0 then loads in Bastion Network DomU's which will also have no network
access beyond what goes through the firewall.

1) The Dom0 host image would be booted via the internal net, so any hacks
that manage to get to it are reverted.

2) The firewall gets booted off the internal network, so hacks are again
lost.

3) The Bastion images can directly talk through the NIC allowed to them via
crossover cable between the hosts.

4) The Bastion images would also have LVMs 'local' on a hardware raid we
already have implemented. I'm planning to have the Bastions also boot from
the internal network for their binaries, and mount the RAIDs 'noexec'.

It's not that I want our hardware entirely impossible to hack, I just want
it to be rather difficult to do so.

Of the software you mentioned, I was able to get Xen up and working within a
day where UMLs were too much a pain. Xen also allows direct hardware
leasing, so I can give a particular domain all three PCI NICs. Patching the
OS was much less a big deal with Xen than with trying to get UML to work for
me. I understand Xen will have its patches incorporated into the next
release or two of Linux.

--Romaq