On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 14:09, Arne Bernin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 12:24 -0400, Calvin Webster wrote:
> > Eric & Arne:
> >
> Hi Calvin!
>

> > I haven't begun using VDE yet. Once I get the VMs running I'll tackle
> > that.
> >
> i use the following script to start 2 vde-switches (actually hubs)
> and load the kqemu module...Of course you can use more switches if you
> like, just add them like the others and don't forget to pass the control
> socket as argument to qemu.

Thanks! I'll try that when I get more than one LEAF router up and
running.

> > Thanks for the help getting QEMU built. The CVS source is the key if you
> > want to use the accelerator. Building it was more complicated than it
> > needed to be, though, mostly because of the instructions on the QEMU web
> > site. They assume you're using the CVS tree, but the download source
> > doesn't match. The directions in the CVS tree assume too much also.
> >
> now that qemu 0.7 is out, things are a lot easier (no more cvs needed)..

That's good.

> > Anyway, I've spend the last few days trying to get a QEMU virtual IDE
> > disk to boot. It's easy enough to create, but two glaring problems pop
> > right up. 1) It cannot be mounted with fstype "msdos" as with the LEAF
> > floppy images, and 2) It will not boot. It hangs at the initial startup
> > with "Booting from Hard Disk" message. I've posted a query on the QEMU
> > users forum, but no one is answering. I can't afford to spend more time
> > on that right now so I'm proceeding with a 2-floppy setup in QEMU. You
> > can view the article here:
>
> i ran into the same problems, too while trying to create the disk with
> linux. I have it running now, but had to use a (real) dos boot floppy to
> get it work...I created an empty hd image (64M) which is already
> syslinuxed, you can get it from:http://www.ucbering.de
> you can mount it like: mount -o loop,offset=32256 leaf.img /mnt -t msdos
> and copy the leaf files that you want (don't forget to use a initrd
> capable of harddisks for it). Another option would be to use the
> bering-uclibc iso image for booting as cdrom (and if not, use it for
> getting the packages...).
> Hope that helps,
>
>               --arne

I got your image and used it - now I can boot. I just used the LEAF
initrd.lrp from the diskette and it works okay. However, I still need to
be able to create one that will boot and I'd like to be able to do it
without Bill Gates' help. Everything I'm doing needs to be repeatable
and documented. Someone had to be able to do it from Linux at some point
since the docs claim it can be done.

Actually, the offset you used to mount your image allowed me to mount
the image that I had created. I was not trying to mount from an offset
before. How did you arrive at that offset number?

The first times that I ran "syslinux -o" from within my Linux shell I
was using the "unit" value from fdisk to get past cyl 0 (516096). It was
failing complaining that it didn't look like a valid FAT filesystem.
Now, using the 32256 offset, I no longer get any errors, appearing to
succeeed. However, it still won't boot.

Actually I have tried running syslinux several different ways without
success, with both the original RHL9 stock version and the newest ver
3.07-1. The only way I got no errors was to boot into QEMU. I copied
syslinux to a Win95 boot diskette and booted the RHL9 CD into rescue
mode with the Win95 diskette as a fd1, and the LEAF hard disk as hda
then ran it from there.

Am I going to have to download a windows exe to the Win95 rescue
diskette and boot it into QEMU with the hard disk image? I assume that's
what you did. This is going to bug me, you know. I won't be able to let
it go until I figure out why it's not working.

--Cal