--- Eric House <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> While webconf is really cool, I'm concerned that it makes it too
easy

> for the kids to change things.  While you need the root password to

> use lrcfg, you need only an easily-sniffable http-access password

> use webconf.  I'd like a way to make webconf read-only so that it
can

> be used for status information the way weblet was.  Is there any way
> do this?

Eric,

If you load webconf.lrp, and /remove/ webconf.lwp and any other .lwp
from your system, you'll have a read-only system. (Well, mostly - your
kids will still be able to back-up the existing packages... but
there's nothing that they could /change/ through the web interface.)
The lrcfg.cgi is in the webconf.lwp - and that's what gives you
write-access.

Longer term, I'm working on adding role-based authentication to
webconf, so that a single "webconf instance" could have both read-only
and read-write pages, depending on who you log in as.  Of course, in
your case, you would probably still want to load an https web server
to prevent password snooping. There is a mini-http .lrp that /does/
support https.)

Unfortunately, the realities of LEAF development (e.g. its all
volunteer) mean long development times, so I am guessing the
role-based authentication features not to be ready for several months
- just to set expectations.  But if that sounds like something that
would be helpful in your situation, encouragement always helps
<smile>.

> Alternatively, could I just go back to using weblet?  Webconf is so
much

> more powerful I'm expecting weblet to be deprecated, but perhaps
weblet
> remains the right tool for folks like me?

I think using webconf.lrp without the extra plugins might work for
you, its at least worth a try.

Thanks for your kind words!