I wrote:

> >For several versions now nothing I've put in /etc/crontab has worked.
> >Is there some trick to getting that file honored?  Backing up etc.lrp
> >preserves my changes, but even a restart doesn't help.  Even trivial
> >lines like
> >
> >* * * * *    root   date >> /tmp/dates.txt
> >
> >are not honored.

I solved the problem.  My file ownership was messed up, probably
because I've edited some of the files in etc.lrp on a desktop Linux
system in the process of setting up to run on Soekris and WRAP boxes.

The fix was to run the commands

chown -R root /etc/cron*
chgrp -R root /etc/cron*

then backup etc.lrp and reboot.  With that done, commands in /etc/crontab
are being run when scheduled.

Hoping this helps somebody....

--Eric