Well after trying this suggestion and changing the interfaces file it still won't detect the card-

snip<
Jeremy,

Not sure if it will help you, but I guess that you need to use wireless tool to bring the card up. I have the following in my interface. My card is also madwifi based.

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet static
      address 172.27.0.254
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      broadcast 172.27.0.255
      wireless-mode master
      wireless-rate 54M
      wireless-essid mySSID
      wireless-key myKEY
      up /sbin/iwpriv ath0 mode 3

Note that this is just normal WEP security as I use OpenVPN to login in actualy later. But you can try this to make sure the card is recognized and works.
snip<

I started to do a little more checking and comparing. Several people has suggested I should try the command lspci. My distribution won't support that but I think this command should be the equivalent- cat /proc/pci Correct?

If my assumption is correct, I have detected the card by comparing the output both while the wireless card was in the computer as well as out of it. The difference is listed here and I believe this is my wireless card.

Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
   Class 0200: PCI device 168c:0020 (rev 1).
     IRQ 9.
     Master Capable.  Latency=80.  Min Gnt=10.Max Lat=28.
     Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfcfe0000 [0xfcffffff].

Next, I did a cat /proc/interrupts

          CPU0
 0:     355704          XT-PIC  timer
 1:        330          XT-PIC  keyboard
 2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
 4:       4190          XT-PIC  eth1
 8:          0          XT-PIC  rtc
11:       4682          XT-PIC  eth0
14:        282          XT-PIC  ide0
15:         10          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

So, aren't IRQ 2 and 9 the same? I think I remember this from hardware class many years ago. My problem would appear to be an IRQ conflict.

part of my dmesg looks like this-
wlan: 0.8.6.0 (EXPERIMENTAL)
wlan: mac acl policy registered
ath_hal: 0.9.14.9 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413)
ath_rate_sample: 1.2
ath_pci: 0.9.6.0 (EXPERIMENTAL)

If I try to issue the command ifup ath0 I get-

firewall# ifup ath0
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
   SET failed on device ath0 ; No such device.
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
   SET failed on device ath0 ; No such device.
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
   invalid argument "default".
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
   SET failed on device ath0 ; No such device.
Cannot find device "ath0"
SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

BTW, I am loading the following packages
LRP="root config etc local modules iptables dhcpcd pump hdsupp radius madwifi wpasupp wireless libm shorwall ulogd dnsmasq dropbear mhttpd weblet "

I am open to any suggestions anyone has (quick! before I pull my hair out :-D). Many thanks for your help.

Jeremy