-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bodo Meissner
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:58 AM
To: leaf-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [leaf-user] configuration tips: DHCP + shorewall + 2 subnets on 1
ethernet

Hello all,

I had some difficulties to get DHCP working on my system because of my
(probably unusual) configuration. To help others who might run into the
same
problems I want to share my experience.

In fact it's not a LEAF-Bering issue but a Shorewall configuration
problem.

My network configuration:

Bering-uClibc with 2 ethernet cards used as Internet router, VPN router
and
firewall
eth0 connected to ADSL modem
eth1 internal network

eth1 has 2 addresses and is used for 2 subnets on the same ethernet:
192.168.0.0/24 and 10.61.192.0/18

systems in 192.168.0.0/24 have access to internet
systems in 10.61.192.0/18 have access to VPN

I could not get DHCP working with the suggested Shorewall configuration
because of the 2 network addressen on 1 interface.

This is my original configuration:

/etc/network/interfaces
-----------------------
auto ppp0
iface ppp0 inet ppp
         pre-up ip link set eth0 up
         provider dsl-provider eth0

iface eth1 inet static
         address 192.168.0.254
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         broadcast 192.168.0.255

auto eth1:0
iface eth1:0 inet static
         address 10.61.192.254
         netmask 255.255.192.0
         network 10.61.192.0
         broadcast 10.61.255.255

/etc/shorewall/zones
--------------------
net     Net             Internet
loc     Local           Local networks
vpnh    VPN-home        VPN home part
vpno    VPN             VPN office part

/etc/shorewall/interfaces
-------------------------
net     ppp0            -               routefilter,norfc1918
-       eth1            detect
vpno    ipsec0

/etc/shorewall/hosts
--------------------
loc     eth1:192.168.0.0/24
vpnh    eth1:10.61.192.0/18

I used the suggested rule in
/etc/shorewall/rules
--------------------
[...]
# allow loc to fw udp/67 and udp/68 for dnsmasq's dhcpd to work
ACCEPT          loc             fw      udp     67,68
[...]

This did not work. I could see DHCP requests but no replies.
I tried adding an accept rule for packets from "fw" to "loc" but id did
not
work either.

This does not work because zone "loc" is not defined in /etc/shorewall/
interfaces but in /etc/shorewall/hosts and the addresses 0.0.0.0 and
255.255.255.255 as used by DHCP are not part of the zone "loc".

I added an additional zone "locbc" to make it work:

/etc/shorewall/zones
--------------------
net     Net             Internet
loc     Local           Local networks
locbc   LocalBC         Local network broadcast
vpnh    VPN-home        VPN home part
vpno    VPN             VPN office part

/etc/shorewall/hosts
--------------------
loc     eth1:192.168.0.0/24
locbc   eth1:255.255.255.255,0.0.0.0
vpnh    eth1:10.61.192.0/18

/etc/shorewall/rules
--------------------
[...]
# allow loc to fw udp/67 and udp/68 for dnsmasq's dhcpd to work
ACCEPT          loc             fw      udp     67,68
ACCEPT          fw              loc     udp     67,68
ACCEPT          locbc           fw      udp     67,68
ACCEPT          fw              locbc   udp     67,68
[...]

I think, address 255.255.255.255 does not need to be in "locbc" and the
rules
"ACCEPT fw loc..." are not necessary, but I did not (yet) try without
these.

Maybe this hints can be included into some documentation or FAQ.

Bodo