Hi Tim,

I wish I had known about the DOM's one week earlier. It sounds perfect for what I am trying to do.

Thanks for the tip.

Chera

Timothy J. Massey wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 12/23/2005 10:18:03 AM:

> Follow up on this problem. I have progress of a sort. I attached my
> cardreader to yet another computer. The cardreader was attached as
> secondary master. This computer had a more modern BIOS which allowed
> booting from a LS/ZIP drive. And YES,YES,YES I saw the Bering logo. The
> kernel booted but then the IDE driver started to muck things up again.

That means you're past the BIOS stage...

> It did find the card reader at hdc but then it decided that it was a
> floppy.
>
> hdc: IOMEGAIDE CARD READER, ATAPI cdrom or floppy?, assuming FLOPPY drive

Interesting.

This won't help much for your current situation, but here's what I'd recommend to everyone trying this:

http://www.globalamericaninc.com/other/dom.php

The term you're looking for is Disk on Module. I buy 32MB DOM's (which are 30MB bigger than they need to be) for $35. It's far cheaper than buying a piece of CF and a separate IDE adapter. They make just about any size you want. And they work perfectly: the computer sees a 32MB hard drive.

I use those in concert with a VIA EDEN MiniITX motherboard. Zero moving parts: no CPU fan, not PS fan, no rotating storage. It's like a (somewhat expensive) Linksys, but much more powerful: expandable to GB's of flash and 512MB of RAM. I use it for a number of applications, most of them LEAF-based.

Tim Massey