On Wednesday 11 January 2006 10:45, Robert K Coffman Jr - Info From Data
 wrote:

 > It appears that you are misunderstanding what those commands do.   See
 > http://www.shorewall.net/starting_and_stopping_shorewall.htm#id2507868 for
 > more detail.

 And for port knocking with Shorewall 2.x, you should be looking at
 http://www.shorewall.net/2.0/PortKnocking.html

 -Tom

Thanks for the replies, Robert and Tom. I'd read the list of shorewall commands
and assumed that they enabled you to modify the /etc/shorewall/rules on the fly
from the command line. I'll have to re-read the docs!

Jim Ford