Hi Joep,

> perhaps be better to use bzip2 which is very efficient but a little
> trial turned out that gzip -9 gives a better compression than bzip2 -9.
The results of bzip compression depend highly on the input - sometimes
it's a lot better than gzip, sometimes it fails big time. There's no
general rule other than trying it under the specific curcumstances you
use it in, and finding out what's best.

> I need the highest compression as the leafbox is a very old winchip (90
> MHz) system with an MB that was made before USB was available so I have
> to use floppies.
Well, bzip generally tends to use tons of cpu power, so it may not be
the obvious choice for low power boards.

> Well I think I have somewhere a somewhat more modern MB
> (K6 500MB!) with USB to load a small system with USB support with a
> floppy and get the  packages from an USB stick.That's more than fast enough.
Well, other than switching cpus, you could look at switching boot media
- wether it may be two flopppies (one tends to get a lot on 2x1.6MB) or
switching to CF, CDROM or DOM, or something like that. Just because your
platform won't boot off USB, doesn't mean it's useless (none of the
boxes I use LEAF on can boot from USB, and they all use more than just a
single 1.44 floppy - Soekris, WRAP or Nexcom boxes are what I use, and
they work just fine).

Martin