From: Eric Spakman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 5:36 AM
To: Rob Ogle
Cc: leaf-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Logging Internet Usage

Hi Rob,

> I'm running UCLibc at some hotels for their guest access to the internet.
>  The hotels have some guests complain that the internet "isn't working"
> so the managers think "we're having all these problems." I'm
> comfortable that it's user error because each time I come check a room
> that's having issues, it's a disabled nic, static ip,  etc.
>
> So my thoughts are to show the managers how many people are getting on
> successfully so they can compare it to the complaints. Can anyone give
> me thoughts on whether I should try to log dhcp requests build a
> report from  the log file or use snmp and setup something like nagios to
monitor it?

You can log the dhcp requests by looking at "daemon.log" or the dhcp leases
file. But instead of proof afterwards, why not try to avoid the problem by
providing a simple checklist in each room? If the problems are mostly due
configuration issues on the client PC's, you can make a document with some
screen dumps of the desired settings.

Eric