Thanks Kwon but the problem does not seem to relate to ppp or pppd. I am
using PPPoA and do have 'persist' and 'maxfail' set in ppp files.

The problem seems to relate to the Speedtouch driver or USB kernel
module, since I get the following in syslog:

Oct  4 12:09:29 firewall modem_run[22358]: Error reading interrupts
Oct  4 12:09:32 firewall kernel: usb.c: USB device 22 (vend/prod 0x6b9/0x4061)
is not claimed by any active driver.
Oct  4 12:09:51 firewall kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Oct  4 12:09:51 firewall kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 22 ep 0x85
len 512 ret -110

It may be that there is a shorewall setting I have misconfigured...
I find these frequent ADSL / ppp0 disconnects strange because I have
an Eagle usb modem running under Bering 1.2 and I can count on one
hand the number of times it has droppped off the internet in the
past 2 years.

Altho' I have 'debug' set in the dsl-providers file, there is no log
information anywhere that explains the SpeedTouch disconnecting.

Did anyone else experience the above usbdevfs error message?

TYI