Hello Eric and KP and all others,

I have found that the increase of /var/log/wtmp takes
place shortly before 'daemon.log' gets a pair of
entries

 Init Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled  for 5 min

and a similar message for "2". The correlation is very
close but I cannot measure the time displacement.
By the way, I run Bering almost as the original
1680k-image, only adding the necessary drivers and
having removed every ppp-related material, which I
do not need.

I have prepared a text file with output from commands
ll, ps, last, and apkg, as well as a compressed wtmp,
should anyone be interested. At this very moment wmtp
is 532kB in size and the command 'last' says only

  reboot   system boot  2.4.33     "the time 2.5h ago"

  root     ttyp0      192.168.3.103    "15 min later".

Unfortunately, I forgot to check this "respawning"
when I changed the two machines earlier this evening.
I meant the other one did stop its size increase of
wtmp and therefore I tried to change machines.
Since the only difference was in the http-proxy
sitting at 8080 in the now removed machine, I had
hoped such a change from 80 would have effect on the
present one also, but nothing did change. I fear
myself to be lost of explanations for the moment.

       Regards
                    Mats E A